Mushroom spread/dip - Zacusca
Time: 180 minutes
Serves: 3 borcănele
2 medium size aubergines/eggplants (1 kg)
3 bell peppers (1 kg)
1 big onion (200 – 250 g)
225 ml tomato sauce
60 ml vegetable oil
200 g canned mushrooms
2 bay leaves
salt and pepper
1 tsp honney (optional)
1. Grill the aubergines and bell peppers in the oven or on the barbecue. Hot, from the grill, put the bell peppers in a covered pot. Let them rest for 15 minutes before peeling and removing the seeds. Peel the aubergines and let them drain in a colander.
2. Mince the bell peppers and aubergines. You can use a meat mincer or the food processor.
3. Dice the onion. Sauté the onion in 60 ml of oil, until in becomes translucent. Add the minced aubergines and bell peppers, the tomato sauce, salt, black pepper and bay leaves.
4. If the zacusca doesn’t have enough liquid to simmer add 100 ml of water or some of the juice from the mushroom can. Simmer for 30 minutes and stir from time to time.
5. Add the mushrooms, sliced or diced according to preference. Simmer for another 45 minutes. Taste it, and if it seems sour, add one or more teaspoons of honey.
6. Sterilise the jars and lids with boiling water. Pour the pipping hot zacusca into the jars. Close the lids as tightly as you can. Put the jars in a pan with boliling water and a cloth on the bottom (to prevent them from cracking). Boil the jars for one hour, on low heat. Turn off the heat and let them cool down in the pot. When cold, label the jars and store them in the pantry.
Copyright ©2004, 2005 vulpeabucatar.com